Message from the head
Admission information
Admission information

Admission Guideline

1) 한국어교육-한국학 석사과정 및 박사과정

지원자격: TOPIK 4급 이상이거나 한국 소재 4년제 대학의 인가를 받은 한국어교육 4급과정 이상을 이수한 외국인

졸업 시 한국어 능력시험 6급을 받는 경우 대한민국 정부 문화체육관광부가 발행하는 외국인을 위한 한국어 교사 자격증을 취득하게 됩니다.

강의는 한국어와 영어로 진행됩니다.

이 전공은 외국인을 위한 한국어교사 자격증에 필수적인 과목의 수강과 함께 한국학 전공과 상당 수의 과목을 공유합니다.

한국학 석사과정 및 박사과정

입학을 위한 별도의 한국어 지원 자격은 없습니다.

한국어 Ⅰ·Ⅱ를 포함한 일부 강의를 제외하고 강의는 대부분 영어로 진행됩니다.

이태리 La Sapienza University of Rome, 호주 Australian National University, Australia, 카자흐스탄 Al-Farabi National University를 포함한 많은 기관들과 교환학생 프로그램이 제공됩니다.

한국 기업·경영 전문가 양성과정

입학생들은 재학 중 국제학대학원(GSIS)과 경영대학원(HUBS) 협동 프로그램인 "한국 기업·경영 전문가 양성과정"을 이수하는 경우 certificate를 받을 수 있습니다.

1) Major in Korea Studies for the Master’s and/or Doctoral course

Applicants are not required to have a Korean language test score for admission. Classes are conducted mostly in English except for a few classes including Korean language I & II.
Various student exchange programs are available with institutions including La Sapienza University of Rome, Italy, Australian National University, Australia, Al-Farabi National University, Kazakhstan, and so on.

2) Major in Korean Language Education and Korean Studies for the Master’s course

For eligibility, applicants must have a 4th level certificate or above on the TOPIK or have completed level 4 or above from a Korean language course administered by educational institutions affiliated with regular 4-year universities in Korea. Graduates will receive a certificate as a ‘Korean Language Teacher for Foreigners’ issued by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism of the Korean Government with approval of the National Institute of the Korean Language, after having achieved a TOPIK (Test of Proficiency in Korean) score of level 6. Classes are conducted in Korean and English.

Also available is the Korean Business and Management Expert Program offered jointly by the Graduate School of International Studies (GSIS) and Hanyang University Business School (HUBS).

Please click the followings for the details and procedures:

General Information

Immigration and Visa

It is the responsibility of the individual student to use our letter of acceptance and notarized letter of guarantee to obtain the correct visa needed to attend Hanyang University. Citizens of countries other than Korea must have a student visa, or, if they are already residents of Korea, a permission stamp on their residence certificates to attend classes.

Korean law absolutely requires departure from the country to change one's visa status. A tourist visa is good for only 90 days and cannot be extended. In addition, our letter of acceptance cannot be used to obtain a working visa. Working in Korea on a student visa is illegal and may result in heavy fines if you are caught. Also, withdrawal from the program will mean a change in one's visa status, since Hanyang University will withdraw sponsorship.

If you are coming to Korea from abroad, you should apply for a student visa (D-2). Approval should take only a few days, but may take up to a month. Do not be concerned if your "period of stay" is for a shorter time than your study period. A student visa can be extended without leaving Korea.

All foreigners residing in Korea for over 90 days must obtain a Residence Certificate from the Seoul Immigration Office. A residence certificate and extension can cost up to 45,000 won.

Since the Summer Session lasts less than 90days, a tourist (c-3) visa is sufficient for most Summer Session students. You must still formally apply for a tourist visa at a Korean consulate. People who arrive in Korea with no visa must leave Korea within 15 days.

If you are already in Korea on a work or dependent visa, you may need permission to attend Hanyang University as an "activity outside the purpose of your visa." Contact our office details.

- Seoul Immigration Office -
Address: 319-2 Shinjung-6-dong, Yangchon-ku, Seoul
Telephone Numbers:
General Information: (02) 650-6239, (02) 650-6212-4
USA Section: (02) 650-6231-3
Chinese Section: (02) 650-6221-2
Japanese Section: (02) 650-6228-9
Other Nationalities: (02) 650-6225-6

The immigration office handles all requests. You can take a taxi, bus, or subway. Instructions are available in the office.

- Certificate of Alien Registration -
All foreign nationals that stay in Korea for more than three months must apply for a Certificate of Alien Registration. To apply for this certificate, the following items are needed:
*Application Form (obtained at the Immigration Office; can be filled out in five minutes)
*Four passport size photos
*Certificate of Enrollment (can be obtained at the International Division Office)
Fee (varies)

- Period of Stay Extension -
In some cases, it is necessary to extend the period of stay listed on the Certificate of Alien Registration. The following documents are required:
*Application Form (obtained at the Immigration Office; can be filled out in five minutes)
*Certificate of Enrollment (obtained at the International Division Office)
*Notarized Sponsorship Letter (can be made by anyone, but needs to be notarized)
*Financial Statement (bank statement or letter of support by somebody)
*20,000 won fee

- Reentry Permit -
Some students receive a single entry VISA. This visa is good for only one entry to Korea. If you want to leave and return to Korea during the period of exchange, it is important to apply for a reentry permit. The following documents are required:
*Application Form (obtained at the Immigration Office; can be filled out in five minutes)
*Certificate of Alien Registration
*20,000 won fee (single reentry) / 30,000 won fee (multiple reentry permit)

Health Insurance

Students will be required to submit the proof of insurance upon their acceptance. In case of a medical emergency, students may go to Hanyang University Hospital for service. Medical cost in Korea is significantly cheaper than those of the US but please note that depending on your condition your bills can come out to large amounts. NO immunization is required for travel to Korea from developed countries your tetanus and polo immunizations should be up to date of course. Prescription drugs are readily available in Korea, and are quite inexpensive If you need an unusual medicine please write ahead to see if it is available here. There are also many excellent dentists and Orthodontists in Korea. Once again the student is required to pay the full treatment fee at the time of their treatment.

Life in Korea


Generally it is very difficult to cash US personal checks in Korea. Even if accepted, it can take up to two months for such a check to clear. Therefore, it is recommended that students bring either traveler's checks or a lump sum amount in a secure instrument such as a cashier's check/bank check or international money order.

Traveler's checks can be changed to won (Korean currency) quickly and easily at any bank and at a more favorable rate than cash. A secure instrument can also be changed into Korean currency and a passbook or money-card account in Korean currency can be opened easily at the Shinhan Bank campus branch. Telegraphic transfers can then be made to such accounts throughout the student's stay, if necessary. All such transfers in Korea have bank service charges.

Credit cards are accepted by some stores, but often there is a 4% surcharge for their use. Credit card cash advances for living expenses can be obtained at the campus bank, but the process can be cumbersome. Credit card authorization clearance may take from one hour to one day. One or two cash machines downtown are linked to worldwide cash networks such as Plus or Cirrus, but no such ATMs are on campus.

What to Bring

Students should bring enough personal care and hygiene items, as these items may be hard to find or expensive in Korea. In addition, if you take any special medication, we recommend that enough medication is brought to last during your stay. You can probably find it in Korea, but the problem is in figuring out the proper Korean name.

Korea uses 60 cycle current, usually at 220 volts. While most places have only the 220 voltage current, the International House dorm rooms have both 110 voltage and 220 voltage current available. Keep this in mind when packing small electrical devices.

Illegal Drugs

Korean society and Korean law are very harsh on illegal drugs. Possession of marijuana can result in several years of imprisonment, while selling for profit can result in seven years to life. US privacy rights against random search and self-incrimination do not apply in Korea. Conditions in Korean prisons are not pleasant. If you do drugs, don't come.